The Reading Room was built in 1885 in Church Lane for the public by the lord of the manor for locals and farm workers to provide somewhere for them to read news papers and other material. In 1895 it had 40 ordinary members. Vestry meetings were held there from 1906 to 1910. It is at the centre of the village and has been used over the years for parties, village meetings, hand bell ringing, sports and entertainment. It was used by the Sports and Social Club for many years. The villagers purchased the property from the estate of H. Benyon in 1964 for the cost of six pence per household to cover the cost of £20 (negotiated down from £2000) plus expenses. It is a building of historical importance to the village with a wonderful interior and is in keeping with the other buildings locally, a link back to the by-gone age of benevolent land ownership.
Planning submission has been put in to Havering council application 1989 (click on link) to have a change of use of the building from a community amenity to a 2 bedroom residential property – we would like to bring this building back from the brink once more, and revive it’s use in the advancement of local community development, of the arts, culture, and the local heritage.
Notoriously dogs are abandoned in their droves during the post-Christmas period when the realities of keeping a dog as a pet dawn on people in the new year, but this Christmas period has brought some good news for at least some dogs.
The government in it’s uncommon wisdom has for a second and we hope final time refused permission for the Kennels site to be turned into a unsightly housing estate of low-rise low-quality chicken-hutch come houses. More details will be published as they become available, in the meantime, please raise an extra glass of Christmas Eggnog in celebration and cheer that at least the kennels dogs will not be made homeless.
As widely predicted the latest proposals for the unsightly development of the Kennels site with a 22 prefabricated unit housing estate didn’t stand a dog’s chance of getting the green light to destroy the green belt, we could all have done with some good news.
This decision is of course, subject to the applicant making an appeal, if she wishes to throw another £4080 of good money after bad to pay for the for the Mayor of London Community Infrastructure Levy along with any other costs that would be occurred, in trying to push the dog’s dinner of an application through.
Continuing from the previous consultation the Department for Transport (DfT) has launched another consultation process on the New Thames Crossing. With the tarmac from the widening of the M25 and the paint of the white lines from introduction of the new so-called “free-flow” toll hardly dry and the chaos caused by work on the A13 junction it cannot be believed that appropriate time and analysis of the affects they have had on traffic and congestion.
The DfT seems to be pushing very hard for the worse possible of all options, Option C, cutting across the end of Church Lane and very close to Norman Church and barn conversions with elevated sections running down the middle of all the green belt land all the way from Tilbury. The entire area will be blighted by this unnecessary and expensive tar and cement white elephant.
Read the details that DfT are prepared to make public here.